Norton AntiVirus has been in existence since the pre-Windows phase when most PCs operated on the MS-DOS system. Although viruses were much simpler then, Norton still continues to meet the modern PC user’s expectations with comprehensive antivirus and Internet security protection.
If you are in the market for a PC protection program, Norton is an antivirus application that may be worth your consideration. The following information is a review and summary to help you in your search for an antivirus program that will appropriately serve your needs.
Norton AntiVirus is offered in three basic PC protection packages which include Norton AntiVirus, Norton AntiVirus plus Internet Security, and Norton AntiVirus plus Internet Security and 360 Protection. The main difference in the three packages is the amount of protection features that are provided. Some of the top features include:
- Rapid pulse PC protection that provides updates every few minutes.
- Spyware detection and removal with faster scanning capability.
- Safe Web social media protection for Facebook that provides News Feed scanning to prevent rogue downloads from entering your PC.
- Protection against hackers in the two upper-level editions of Norton.
- Backup and Recovery in the premium edition that includes Blu-ray disc, iPod, and HD-DVD backup with 2GB of cloud storage.
- Parental controls in the two upper-level editions of Norton.
- Free around the clock tech support 24/7.
Pros and Cons of Norton
Norton AntiVirus has an overall rating of being an excellent PC protection program. However, here are a few pros and cons to help you make an informed decision.
- Norton offers a new technology capable of handling critical PC files that have become corrupt making them vulnerable to exploits.
- Effective URL protection and blocking of malicious websites.
- Exceptional performance when removing viruses that are deeply embedded in the operating system.
- A clean user interface is easy to understand and use.
- 60-day money back guarantee.
- Removal of real-time threats is not as good as virus removal.
- Technical support can use improvement.
- Utilization of system resources is average using approximately 60 percent of memory and one percent use of CPU.
Norton AntiVirus packages are offered on a one-year or two year protection plan with different prices for each plan.
Norton AntiVirus plus Internet Security offers one year of protection for $79.99 and two years of protection for $94.99. Protection coverage is for up to 3 PCs.
Norton AntiVirus plus Internet Security and 360 Protection is $49.99 for one year of protection and $114.99 for two years of protection. Protection coverage is for up to 3 PCs.
Norton AntiVirus is meant to be used with the Windows operating system. For basic antivirus protection, it is not bad but overall, the application could use a few upgrades and improvements.
Ease of Use8.5/10
- 60 Day Money Back Guarantee
- Good Antiphising
- Good Malicious URL Blocking
- Remote Monitoring of Network (extra feature)
- Not the Cheapest
- Can Disable Other Antivirus Systems
- Resource Heavy System