- Qustodio vs MMGuardian Compared - December 12, 2022
- Mobicip vs Net Nanny - June 27, 2022
- Qustodio vs Kaspersky: Qustodio Will Always Be My #1 Choice - June 27, 2022
The need to transfer files, settings, and programs from one computer to another is an inevitable part of computing. Whether upgrading or replacing your computer, refreshing your operating system, or setting up a new computer, you will need to move your data.
There are several ways to go about this, and two of the most popular are PCmover Express and Windows Easy Transfer.
These two tools offer distinct advantages for transferring your settings, files, and user accounts. As such, choosing the right tool for your needs can be tricky. It’s essential to understand the differences to make the best decision for your situation.
In this article, we will compare PCmover Express vs Windows Easy Transfer so that you can decide which one is the best fit for your needs.
Main Differences Between PCmover Express vs Windows Easy Transfer
The main differences between PCmover Express vs Windows Easy Transfer are:
- PCmover Express supports data transfer between 64-bit and 32-bit systems, whereas Windows Easy Transfer doesn’t.
- PCmover has an undo feature, whereas Windows Easy Transfer doesn’t have one.
- PCmover Express can do all settings migrations, whereas in Windows Easy Transfer, settings migrations are limited.
- PCmover Express costs money, whereas Windows Easy Transfer is free
What is PCmover Express?
PCmover Express is a tool from Laplink designed to migrate data between two computers automatically. It can transfer files, settings, and user accounts from one computer to another, regardless of whether the computers run a different operating system.
The PC Mover Express software is easy to use; all you need is to install it on both computers and run the migration.
PCmover Express uses a Microsoft-based migration engine to move data between two Windows computers. It allows data transfer between windows 7, 8, 8.1, 10 and the recent windows 11. You can even use PCmover Express to move files from Windows XP to Windows 10.
Using the features of this Microsoft migration engine, PCmover Express can transfer settings from Microsoft Outlook, Internet Explorer, and Firefox. It can also transfer files stored in Adobe applications such as Photoshop and Illustrator.
Core Features of PCmover Express
Below are features that make PCmover Express a powerful data migration tool:
- Simple setup: The setup process is straightforward. You need to install the software on both computers and run the migration.
- Automatic PC discovery & connection: PCmover Express will automatically find and connect to both of your computers, making the migration process easy and seamless.
- Ability to modify library folder destinations: Another helpful feature of PCmover Express is that you can manually configure transfer settings for specific applications if necessary.
- Transfer apps and cloud directories: PCmover Express transfers applications that are installed on your computer, as well as cloud-based files stored with Google Drive, Dropbox, and SkyDrive.
- Migration for all Windows: You can use PCmover to transfer files from Windows XP, Vista, Windows 7, 8, 8.1, 10, and the recent Windows 11.
- Improved performance: The latest version of PCmover Express is faster than previous versions, allowing you to transfer more data in a shorter amount of time.
- Foolproof “undo” features: Laplink provides a one-click “undo” feature that lets you restore data from the old computer if something goes wrong.
PCmover Express Limitations
Below are some limitations of using PCmover Express for data migration:
- It cannot move applications: Laplink’s PCmover Express does not migrate applications. To move applications, you have to pay extra for their application mover feature on PC Mover Professional.
- Can’t transfer hard drive content from old PC: PCmover Express can only transfer files and settings from your old computer. It cannot move the content of your hard drive.
What is Windows Easy Transfer?
Windows Easy Transfer is a data migration tool from Microsoft designed to transfer data between two Windows computers. Microsoft introduced it in Windows Vista and now works in Windows 7, 8 and 8.1. You can transfer files, folders, and user account settings between computers, but not applications.
There were plans to introduce a supplementary Windows Easy Transfer Companion to transfer specific applications between Windows XP and Windows Vista, but Microsoft never realized the plan. Microsoft discontinued the inclusion of Windows Easy Transfer on Windows 10 and partnered with Laplink to create PCmover Express as a more robust data migration tool.
By using a pluggable transfer cable and the Microsoft Easy Transfer Software, users could move files in the following scenarios:
- From one Windows 7 computer to another Windows 7
- From a Windows 8 computer to another Windows 8 computer
- From a Windows XP SP2 or Vista to Windows 7 or 8 computer
- From Windows 7 PC to Windows 8 PC
Core Features of Windows Easy Transfer
Below are the core features of Windows Easy Transfer:
- Automatic transfer: The tool automatically detects and transfers files, settings, and user accounts between the two computers.
- Detailed reports: Windows Easy Transfer produces detailed reports of the data transfer, including the number of files and settings moved.
- Transfers desktop and other personal files: You can transfer photos, music, videos, email messages, contacts, user accounts, and documents from your computer to another.
- Protected content migration: Once you customize and click the transfer button, the software will prompt you to input a password to protect and encrypt your transfer file. It helps prevent unknown users from accessing your personal information.
Windows Easy Transfer Limitations
Below are some of the limitations of Windows Easy Transfer:
- Windows Easy Transfer does not support transferring files from a 64-bit system to a 32-bit system.
- Windows Easy Transfer doesn’t deal with program files: You’ll have to install the applications again on the new computer.
- Can’t transfer from an old hard drive: You need to install the programs and files you want to transfer on the new computer before using Windows Easy Transfer.
- Windows Easy Transfer only moves files stored in the My Documents folder: if you want to move other files, you’ll have to customize the migration file through a custom option.
- Windows Easy Transfer doesn’t support using the Windows transfer cable in Windows 8.1: You can only transfer data through a wired or wireless network.
- It won’t work on some lower version Windows versions: Windows Easy Transfer can’t move files if the Target PC uses Windows XP or Windows Vista.
Similarities Between PCmover Express vs Windows Easy Transfer
There are several similarities between PCmover Express and Windows Easy Transfer:
- Both programs move files and user settings: PCmover Express and Windows Easy Transfer help you move your files and user settings to a new PC.
- Both have automatic transfer capabilities: The programs detect and automatically transfer files, folders, and user settings between the two computers.
- Both produce detailed reports of migration activity: Reports help you track the progress of your data transfer and ensure that you successfully transfer all files.
- Both have password protection capabilities: The programs encrypt your transfer file with a password to protect your personal information.
- Both programs can’t transfer applications: You’ll have to reinstall your applications on the new computer.
Differences Between PCmover Express vs Windows Easy Transfer
The following are the main differences between PCmover Express and Windows Easy Transfer:
- System differences: PCmover supports transferring data between 64-bit and 32-bit systems, while Windows Easy Transfer does not.
- User profiles: You can move all the user profiles with PCmover, while for Windows Easy Transfer, you can only move the profiles at the My Documents level.
- Application differences: While both don’t allow the transfer of applications, through PCmover Professionals, you can transfer applications with their settings and data files.
- Undo Migration feature: PCmover has an undo functionality that allows you to stop the current transfer operation without deleting any data on your new computer, while Windows Easy Transfer doesn’t.
- Settings migration: PCmover lets you select the transfer options according to your needs, while Windows Easy Transfer only provides limited options.
Which One Should You Choose: PCmover Express or Windows Easy Transfer?
Both PCmover Express and Windows Easy Transfer are great options for transferring files and data between two computers. However, if you want more options and greater flexibility when transferring your files and user settings, then PCmover Express is the better option.
If you’re looking for an easy-to-use program with fewer configuration options, then Windows Easy Transfer is the better option.
When choosing between PCmover and Windows Easy Transfer, you should consider:
- The number of files to transfer: If you’re transferring a small number of files and user settings, Windows Easy Transfer is the better option because it’s easier to use.
- The version of your old computer: Windows Easy Transfer doesn’t support data transfers to older Windows versions (XP, Vista). PCmover does.
- The version of your new computer: If you’re using a newer Windows version 10 or 11, then you’ll need PCmover to transfer your files and settings.
- How comfortable you are with technology: Windows Easy Transfer is the better option because it’s easier to use.
- The operating system of your new computer: PCmover supports transferring data between 64-bit and 32-bit-systems, while Windows Easy Transfer does not.
Ever since Microsoft released Windows 8.1, it reduced the usefulness of Windows Easy Transfer. Previously, you could move files and settings across different PCs using an Easy Transfer Cable. With the release of Windows 8.1, this is no longer possible.
You can transfer the data and files on an external drive to your new Windows 8.1 system, but you can’t transfer the data to the computer itself as before. Besides, if your PC is running on Windows Vista, you won’t be able to transfer the data directly onto your new PC.
Pcmover Express and Windows Easy Transfer Alternatives
With the increased demand for data and file transfers, many people opt for third-party software to ease the process. Several alternative options provide similar functionality as PCmover Express and Windows Easy Transfer.
The following are some alternatives to PCmover Express and Windows Easy Transfer:
CloneAPP is computer software designed to backup, restore, and move all your settings, preferences, and data to any new or existing computer. It’s a portable program you can run from any location. It stores backup data in the backup directory, allowing you to restore your profile on any computer.
The restoration process can work on the same computer or a different one, and CloneApp can also back up the data of your installed application. In addition, CloneApp can also restore your data to a different user account.
EaseUS TODO PCTrans
EaseUS Todo PCTrans allows you to transfer files, settings, and applications from one PC to another. It moves data, applications, and accounts between two PCs. The program also allows you to recover data from a dead PC.
EaseUS Todo PCTrans is a free program with a simple interface. You can use it to copy your entire hard drive, including the operating system, data, applications, and user accounts. It also provides 24/7 customer support.
FastMove allows you to move all your software, settings folders, and files to a new computer. It supports data transfer between computers with the same operating system from Windows 7 to Windows 10. You can also migrate your accounts, settings, and files from a 32-bit computer to a 64-bit computer.
FastMove is small with an intuitive user interface that makes it easy to use. It allows you to keep all your folders in sync between your different computers. You can also move your custom files without the need to back up to the cloud or copy them onto a USB drive.
Zinstall WinWin is a comprehensive software package that allows you to transfer your information and settings from an old computer to a new one. It transfers all programs, files settings, profiles, and customizations. Zinstall WinWin is a paid software that supports Windows Vista, Vista, 7, 8, and 10.
Transwiz stands out as one of the easiest and most versatile programs to transfer your information and settings from one Windows PC to another. It supports transferring files and settings across Windows 8, 7, Vista, and XP.
You can back up your data directly to a DVD or CD or an external hard drive or USB flash drive. The program also includes advanced transfer options to customize migration tasks.
PCmover Express vs Windows Easy Transfer (FAQs)
Question: Does PCMover Express transfer programs?
Answer: PCMover Express doesn’t transfer programs or applications. It allows for the automatic migration of files, settings, and user accounts from one PC to another. If you want to move your applications, you can opt for PC mover professional for a more detailed transfer.
Question: What is better than PCMover?
Answer: There are many alternatives to PCMover Express and Windows Easy Transfer. The most popular include CloneApp, EaseUS Todo PCTrans, FastMove, Zinstall WinWin, and Transwiz. Besides, many of these programs offer free and paid versions for various levels of data transfer.
Question: Which is the best PC Mover Software?
Answer: The best program for transferring your files and settings depends on factors like the operating system, whether you want to use the free or paid version, etc. To make a fair comparison, you should evaluate the features of each program and decide which one best suits your needs.
Question: What replaces Windows Easy Transfer Windows 10?
Answer: Microsoft partnered with Laplink to offer PCmover express as an alternative to Windows Easy Transfer. PCmover express offers a more streamlined approach to migrating your files, settings, and accounts. Although not an official Microsoft product, it has the full backing of Microsoft, and even runs on Microsoft’s infrastructure.
Data migration from one Windows PC to another can be a complicated process. The PCmover Express vs Windows Easy Transfer battle is a close one, but PCmover Express comes out as the clear winner. If you want a comprehensive and straightforward data transfer program, I recommend PCmover Express.
It offers a more streamlined and comprehensive approach to transferring your data. Windows Easy Transfer is limited in its features and doesn’t support all the latest versions of Windows.